Thursday 1 May 2014

19: Experiment #12 - The 'Awful Face' of Cheltenham

I decided to produce some 'final pieces' for the Races experiments, and decided to start with a scene I'd observed at the Festival. These three were observing events from a balcony in the Grandstand, looking out over the crowds near the parade-ring. I was able to lean against a low wall more or less directly opposite them and, because they were above me, observe them closely. They seemed to me representative of the 'loadsa money' variety of spectator common at the Festival, smoking cigars, drinking liquor and often on their mobile phones, having 'important' conversations. Probably owners of workhouses or similar. I actually drew them fairly faithfully at the time, including the guy on the right who clocked me drawing him: 

I thought these three would be deserving of an attack so set to work with pen and pencil. I again had Ralph Steadman in mind here; his work with Hunter S. Thomspon on the Kentucky Derby way back in 1970 was a landmark of the reportage genre. The approach, in less-than-choice language courtesy of Thompson, was to set out to 'rape' the subject matter, at which Steadman's drawings excel:




Steadman's drawings make one look at these people in a new light; the entire enterprise appears venal and dissolute. What he'd make of the Cheltenham Festival I don't know, but it's fair to say that, in terms of the money, drink and disgraceful behaviour, it's always there if you look for it. I gave my characters big cigars (which they did have, I left them out before for Cotswold Life) and I put them on their mobile phones. The central character is leering horribly: 



I wanted to put in some areas of tone:




This is the drawing cleaned up and ready for colour:


I wanted to add some colour to bring out some contrast in the image; Cheltenham yellow/gold seemed appropriate and would emphasise the 'money':
I'm pleased with the final piece although it may be a bit close to Steadman. Well, Steadman said in interview 'We were looking for the awful face of Kentucky', and these are my awful faces of Cheltenham. Steadman wasn't there, so someone had to do it.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment